NDP09

>> Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Years since my last post.

NS makes people dumb. And I think I have lost my ability to convert thoughts into words. I am taking minutes to finish every sentence. And that explains my reluctance to write a proper entry in such a long time.

Anyway, I am gonna try harder this time round. Blogging is actually a really good way for one to settle down and look back at the stuff that has happened, and to organise one's thoughts, something I really need at this point. Ok whatever... I am just taking baby steps, hoping to get my blogging momentum back... So don't be surprised if what I am going to write sounds really random, or like some pri sch kid wrote it.

National Day is coming this sunday and I am really excited about it. To be exact, I am looking forward to the parade itself.



My only memories of NDP was the NE show I attended when I was P5, which is like... more than 10 years back. -_- I remember how everyone had so much fun on that day, although we probably didn't realise what the NE show was all about anyway.



Some people think NDP is dumb. They think its just a parade followed by some artistic performances which no one understands or watches anyway. I actually agree to that to a certain extent.



Yet, every year I balloted for the tickets. I guess I wanted another experience of the atmosphere I was in 11 years back at the National Stadium. I remember how everyone got really excited and 'patriotic' on that night, singing National Day songs, screaming at the fighter jets etc. But I was never lucky enough to get the tickets.



This year, I got lucky and I get to be at the parade without any tickets. Not only that, I get to spend my fridays and saturdays (and some thursdays) at the floating platform and watch the combined rehearsals and NE show every week for the past 7 weeks.



But I don't get to sit at the spectator stand though. Basically my company is in charge of all the gates and stage entrances you can find at the floating platform. We listen to our walkie talkies or headsets and wait for the cue master's cue and give the green light for the performers to enter at the correct timing because everything in NDP has to be synchronised and on-the-dot. I am lucky because my gate is small and we only have around 5 cues. :) And the gate is in the centre right beside the president! That means good view! But its abit low though. =/



After so many rehearsals, we are all so familiar with the sequence of the show, and the music stays in your head. I am so addicted to the music that I loaded all the songs on my iPod. And I really like this year's theme song despite all the negative comments. Just because it doesn't blare words like 'blah blah blah Singapore!' doesn't mean its not nice... Its different! And those who thinks it has no climax should just watch how it makes everyone high during the finale, before everyone quietens down for the pledge.



Another benefit of being involved in NDP is we get to watch the fireworks display every week. It just doesn't get old because the fireworks always make the audience scream in excitement. I was so disappointed to miss the previous 2 shows. Instead of watching the fireworks in awe, I was standing at the sentry post in camp like an idiot.



I don't want to rant, but apparently everyone thought it was fair to choose me to do guard duty on 2 consecutive saturdays and unfair for anyone else chosen, despite it being my 5th duty in 2 months, because... yes i have an extra to clear... although the duty was originally planned for next friday, and the reason I got an extra in the very first place was because... yes i was late... but my PS was also pissed at me... because I was pissed at him for choosing me for weekend duty when my last 3 duties were all on weekends and off days. Basically it was a very tragic and dark and lonely period in my life because I felt like I was doing endless weekend duties. Fair... fair my *****.

Ok... I said I don't want to rant. I just pray that everything will go well and no one suddenly realises its fair to choose me for guard duty this sunday as well.



I might even be on MC that day because I am plucking my wisdom teeth tomorrow and I am expecting at least a few days of MC. But heck I wouldn't miss the actual NDP even if my mouth is bleeding and my cheeks are swollen.



Weeks of rehearsals just for the 9th of August. It kinda saddens me to know that it will be ending so soon.

Everyone should really watch this year's NDP, either rob or steal a ticket or watch it on TV, because everyone that has watched the rehearsals thinks this year's NDP is one of the best!

Unlike previous NDPs where the segments were disconnected and the show was really chim and confusing with so many things running around, this year's NDP is integrated into one show just like a concert with 10 bite-sized chapters through a timeline of Singapore. Every chapter has its own theme and a single performance so its much easier to absorb. My favourite chapters are chapter 8 and the last chapter because thats when they start singing the emo National Day songs, and obviously when they start to spam the fireworks. The best part is at the very end, halfway during the climax of the national anthem, they sneakily fires the nicest fireworks of all, the glittery ones. Emo to the max lor!

Haha... so that's all I have to say. I am praying my wisdom teeth extraction tomorrow will be as painless as possible... Gotta rest. :)